Drexel Shoots Past Mean Green Men's Basketball
Dragons Defeat Mean Green, 83-62
DENTON - Shooting woes continued for the Mean Green men's basketball team on Sunday afternoon. North Texas shot 27 percent from the field in the first half and could not make up ground in the second period as Drexel cruised past the Mean Green 83-62 at the Super Pit.
"We just didn't execute," said North Texas head coach Tony Benford. "I give Drexel credit. They came out and made plays. I'm disappointed in our overall effort."
North Texas dug itself into a large hole in the first half, scoring just six field goals and entering half down by 19 points. The Mean Green's defense also struggled, giving up six 3-pointers in the opening 20 minutes.
Two freshmen led the Drexel attack in the first half. Kari Jonsson and Kurk Lee combined to score 22 of the Dragon's first-half 40 points. Jonsson came off the bench to score four 3-pointers, and Lee poured in 10 points, including two 3-pointers.
The Mean Green began to chip away at the lead in the second half, cutting the lead to 13 points, 55-42, following two free-throws by Deckie Johnson. Rickey Brice Jr. contributed six points in the run but left the game after picking up his third foul. The 7-1 center came off the bench to provide a spark in the second period with 10 points.
The upperclassmen for Drexel took over in the second half, scoring from down low. Senior forward Rodney Williams and junior forward Austin Williams led the Dragons on an 11-2 run to bring their lead back up to 20 points. Rodney Williams led all scorers with 20 points with 14 of those coming in the second period.
In its first three games of the season, Drexel shot 39 percent from the field and 27 percent from 3-point range. Against the Mean Green, Drexel shot over 50 percent, including 60 percent shooting from the field in the second half.
North Texas got off to a slow start, hitting just one field goal in the opening seven minutes, a 3-pointer by Ja'Michael Brown that put North Texas ahead, 3-2.
Behind three 3-pointers, Drexel raced out to a 21-11 lead at the 8:14 mark in the first half and then finished the first period on a 12-1 lead to enter the break with a 40-21 lead.
• The Mean Green travels to New Jersey to play Rutgers on Wednesday, Nov. 23 at 7 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• The Mean Green gave up a season-high 83 points.
• Jeremy Combs scored in double-figures for the first time this season. He scored 15 points, including 10 points in the first half.
• North Texas made a season-low six field goals in the first half.
• J-Mychal Reese scored his first points this season with 13 points against Drexel.
• Rickey Brice Jr. scored in double-figures for the second time in three games this season with 10 points from off the bench. He also has had a block in each of the first three games.