Athletics Staff Reorganization Announced
Restructuring Of Administration, Support Staff Completed
DENTON – University of North Texas student-athletes are being greeted by a number of new faces as they return to campus this fall.
The Department of Athletics recently completed a comprehensive assessment and strategic restructuring process for its administration and support staff in advance of the 2017-18 academic year.
Wren Baker, Vice President and Director of Athletics, announced the results of the year-long process and formally welcomed a number of new staff members to the Mean Green family recently.
"Over the past year, we have evaluated every position in the department," Baker said. "With a goal of improving the student-athlete experience and enhancing revenue growth needed to achieve these goals, we have eliminated or restructured several positions. Streamlining communication and work efficiencies throughout the department was greatly needed. Our new structure is more in line with best practices among elite athletic programs at our peer institutions. I'm honored to work alongside a highly talented and gifted staff who understand our true focus is to Build Champions and Prepare Leaders."
During the past year, several positions have been vacated, restructured or eliminated while other positions have been created or elevated.
The reorganization in the Department of Athletics has been implemented in phases during the past year. Several strategic staffing changes include:
- Addition of full-time Learning Specialist in student-athlete services area.
- Addition of Director of Creative Content focused on graphics, social media and publications.
- Creation of Associate AD for Operations to focus on game-day operations and ways to increase outside event use of athletic facilities to create new streams of revenue.
- Addition of Nutritionist to focus on student-athlete wellness and nutrition.
- Restructure of strength and conditioning staff to accommodate growing physical development needs for all 16 North Texas sport programs.
- Restructure of ticket office to include addition of Senior Associate AD for Ticket Operations and position reallocations to provide additional focus on outbound sales and ticket-revenue growth.
North Texas also welcomes the following new employees as the 2017-18 school year approaches:
- Charles Ashford – Nutritionist
- Philip Baier – Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Chris Baretta – Senior Associate AD for Ticket Sales/Operations
- Austin Eldred – Concessions Coordinator
- Javier Espinoza – Assistant Director of Sports Medicine
- Brett Gemas – Director of Creative Content
- Ricky Lefebvre – Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Alejandra Lopez – Assistant Director of Development
- Lucas Lopez - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Connor Meier – Assistant Athletic Director for Development
- Karlos Patton – Senior Academic Counselor
- Ty Powell - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Zac Powell – Assistant Director of Digital Media
- William Rath - Assistant Director of Sports Medicine
- Auralie Ruggiere – Learning Specialist
- Jeff Smith – Senior Associate Athletic Director for Sports Medicine
- Chastity Stewart – Assistant Director of Student-Athlete Services
- Matt Verderosa – Assistant Director of Video Services
- Mike Villa – Assistant Athletic Director for Equipment Services
- Matt Witty – Senior Associate AD for Business Operations
"We're very excited to welcome these individuals to the Mean Green family," Baker said. "We're very fortunate to attract some very bright leaders to UNT who are already making a tremendous impact on our programs."