NIT Season Tip-Off, Consolation Round
North Texas (3-3) 64 at Virginia (4-2) 80
Nov. 20, 2012 – 7 p.m. (Eastern)
John Paul Jones Arena – Charlottesville, Va.
Up Next – North Texas returns home from the NIT Season Tip-Off to face cross-town rival UT Arlington on Dec. 28 at the Super Pit. Tip off is slated for 7 p.m. and can be seen on TXA21 in the DFW Metroplex.
- Mitchell posted three second-half blocks, which gives him 86 for his career. Mitchell now has 23 career multi-block games, including every game of this season.
- Mitchell’s 16 points gives him 23 double-digit scoring games and eight straight games with at least 10 points.
- For the second straight game, Mitchell was a single rebound shy of a double-double. Mitchell has 12 career double-doubles.
- Williams leads the Mean Green in minutes per game, but has committed just two turnovers on the year, including one tonight. Before tonight, that lone turnover came in the fourth game of the year against Cameron.
- Patton, who sat out last year due to transferring from Grambling, splashed home the first 3-pointer of his NT career midway through the first half.
- Overlander connected on a 3-pointer late in the first half – his second make of the season. The freshman entered the game 1-of-16 from beyond the arc this year.
North Texas Team Notes
- NT’s 21 offensive rebounds are the most since it had 22 at Texas on Nov. 29, 2011.
- UVA shot 72.7 percent from 3-point, which is the highest by a Mean Green opponent since Arizona State went 8-of-11 (72.7 percent) against NT on Nov. 30, 2005.
- Tonight was North Texas’ first meeting with Virginia, and just the team’s second game in the Commonwealth of Virginia. NT defeated IUPUI on Monday afternoon.
- NT has yet to knock off an ACC opponent in seven tries.
- The loss to Virginia snaps North Texas’ three-game win streak, which included victories over Lamar, Cameron and IUPUI.
- NT scored just 22 first-half points, which is its lowest outing of the season. The last time NT was held to less than 22 points at the break was the 29th game of last year, when Denver held the Mean Green to 20 points on Feb. 26, 2012.
- Virginia shot 59.3 percent in the first half. The last team to shoot that well against the Mean Green was Kansas, which also shot 59.3 percent in the first half of that game back on Nov. 19, 2010.
- After this trip to Virginia is finished, North Texas will have traveled over 4,200 miles through six games. The Mean Green will have been well traveled, with a night spent in each of the following states: Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Virginia and Maryland.