NIT Season Tip-Off, Midwest Regional Consolation Round
North Texas (1-2) 74 vs. Lamar (0-2) 59
Nov. 13, 2012 – 6 p.m.
Bramlage Coliseum – Manhattan, Kan.
Up Next – North Texas will return to Denton for its home opener against Cameron on Friday at 7 p.m. - North Texas will await its opponent and destination for the next round of the NIT Season Tip-Off. The announcement is expected to come Wednesday morning from the NCAA.
- North Texas head coach Tony Benford picked up his first career head coaching victory. Benford was one of the most respected assistant coaches in the nation for 20 years prior to taking over the Mean Green program.
- Tony Mitchell scored his 19th career double-digit scoring game and his 12th career double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds against the Cardinals. The sophomore now has two straight double-doubles.
- Chris Jones was averaging 4.25 assists per set last season, and is back on his game in 2012-13. Jones posted seven assists against the Cardinals, and is averaging 5.7 per game so far this year.
- Clarke Overlander missed the first seven shots of his career, but splashed home a big 3-pointer with just under two minutes left in the first half.
- Tony Mitchell scored a pair of blocks to give him 77 for his career. That tally passes Thomas Gibson for fifth in NT history.
- Tony Mitchell’s two blocks gives him 20 career multi-block games. Mitchell now has at least two blocks in seven straight games.
- North Texas is now 12-17 all-time against Lamar, although this was the first meeting since 2004.