North Texas (0-0) 90, East Central (Oklahoma) (0-0) 49
November 1, 2012 – 7 p.m.
The Super Pit - Denton, Texas
NEXT GAME: North Texas opens the season on November 9 in Omaha, Nebraska, against the 15th-ranked Creighton Bluejays. Game time is 7 p.m.
- The first dunk of the season was recorded by Jordan Williams early in the first half.
- Tony Mitchell had the first basket, block, and rebound of the game. A pattern may be developing.
- In his first game as a college head coach, Mean Green coach Tony Benford went to his bench liberally, keeping fresh legs in the game and utilizing the depth of talent on his roster. He played nine players in the first half, getting points from eight of them, and 10 players for the game, with nine contributing points.
- North Texas had one player seeing his first collegiate action Thursday night. Guard P.J. Hardwick, a 5-10 freshman from Houston, played eight minutes and, despite being the smallest player on the court, had five rebounds. He also had six points and a steal.
- In their first action back since missing the second half of last season due to academic ineligibility, Jordan Williams and Chris Jones combined for 31 points, 13 rebounds and three steals.
- North Texas had just two turnovers in the first half, while forcing 12 ECU turnovers. For the game, the Mean Green forced 23 turnovers and had just seven of their own.
- The Mean Green defense held ECU to 30.2 percent shooting on the night. A year ago, North Texas held opponents to 40.6 percent field-goal shooting for the season.
- North Texas did not make a three-point field goal until the 11:02 mark of the second half, when Mitchell connected from the top of the arc.