NIT Season Tip-Off, Consolation Round
North Texas (3-2) 80 vs. IUPUI (2-3) 66
Nov. 19, 2012 – 4:30 p.m. (Eastern)
John Paul Jones Arena – Charlottesville, Va.
Up Next – North Texas will face NIT Season Tip-Off Consolation Round host Virginia on Tuesday at 6 p.m., and the Mean Green Radio Network will have all of the action.
- North Texas finished the day with 20 fast-break points, which are the most since it had 23 against Houston Baptist on Dec. 5, 2008.
- NT is riding a three-game win streak in which it is averaging 77.3 points on 46.8 percent shooting. On the other side of the court, NT is holding its last three opponents to 58.0 points and 35.1 percent shooting. On this streak Tony Mitchell is leading the Mean Green in scoring (16.7), rebounding (8.7) and blocks (2.7), while Chris Jones is pouring in 7.3 assists per game.
- The 80 points against the Jaguars are the most in the five-game Tony Benford era.
- Today was the first ever meeting between North Texas and IUPUI on the hardwood, and NT’s first ever basketball game played in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- After this trip to Virginia is finished, North Texas will have traveled over 4,200 miles through six games. The Mean Green will have been well traveled, with a night spent in each of the following states: Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Virginia and Maryland.
- With four blocks on the day Mitchell now has 83 career blocks, which passes Wendell Williams (81 from 1986-89) for fourth in school history. Mitchell now has 22 career multi-block games, and 10 games with four-plus swats.
- Mitchell also tallied three steals, which ties his career high which was set against Lamar in NT’s last NIT Season Tip-Off game in Manhattan, Kan.
- Tony Mitchell owns 22 career double-digit scoring games.
- With a pair of 3-pointers on the day, Holmen has now hit 11 of his last 16 (68.8 percent) from deep dating back to last season.
- With 13 points and 10 rebounds, Franklin tallied his first double-double of the year and the fifth of his career on Monday.
- Williams leads the Mean Green in minutes per game at 30.6, but has committed just a single turnover on the year. That lone turnover came in the fourth game of the year against Cameron.
- Jones entered the game leading the Sun Belt with 6.0 assists per game, and tallied a season-high eight dimes against the Jaguars.