In our efforts to bring you the best coverage of North Texas football, we will be giving you Tweets & Treats from around the Mean Green during fall camp (Mon., Wed., Fri.). Let us know if you want us to touch on anything specific, and enjoy this insider's take on the happenings around Apogee.
• Size doesn't matter sometimes when you're a receiver going across the middle. WR Carlos Harris turned the tables on linebacker LaJaylin Smith. Harris was blocking after a reception and he caught Smith flat footed on the blindside. Harris leveled Smith with a block, and it sprung the receiver loose for five more yards. Minutes earlier, Harris made a diving catch on the sideline.
• Blake Dunham appears to be firmly entrenched as the deep snapper, but today he we was giving a few pointers to a potential backup in Andrew Power. The tight end was getting some help from Dunham on deep snapping during special teams drills.
• Rookies in camp wear a pair of black stripes on their helmets, and have to earn the rights to get their stripes taken off by coach Mac. This morning, freshman RB Antoinne Jimmerson and freshman WR Carlos Harris became the first and second players to lose their stripes.
• Marcus Trice, never shy, went one-on-one with K.C. Obi near the end of special teams work. Trice was a gunner, while Obi was blocking. Trice came right at him, and right around him with a wicked spin move that left Obi swinging and missing. Trice made sure everyone knew about it afterwards.
• Keep your head up. That's the message to freshman DB Devante Davis. During team drills, 6-5, 265 pound Andrew Power caught Davis looking elsewhere and leveled him with a big block.
• Today marked the first daytime practice of camp so far, but certainly not the last. The Mean Green will practice in the morning each day this week, with an additional afternoon session on Tuesday and Thursday.
• The defense finally took the Circle Drill belt back from the offense. The D rolled to the win today, slimming down the offense's lead to 2-1.
• Random coach Nelly quote of the day: "This drill is your whole life. If you guys don't like this it's time to play soccer down in Brazil or something!"
• Marcus Trice (Jr., DB) - @begreat_8: People always tell me not to get hurt bcuz of the way I play. Most of the time you get hurt from not going hard! I won't have that problem!
• Marcus Trice (Jr., DB) - @begreat_8: Play smart. Play fast. Play wreckless. #BeGreat #GOGTM
• Marcus Trice (Jr., DB) - @begreat_8: Are you coming to Baton Rouge to support #MeanGreenFootball September 1, 2012?
• Derek Akunne (So., LB) - @freaksn_geeks: I wanna thank god for waking me up on time this morning. I forgot to set my alarm.
• Nicolas Summerfield (Sr., OL) - @ntironeagle: S/O to those of you graduated today! You're apart of the #MeanGreenNation forever!!
• Jeremy Phillips (Sr., LB) - @jphilican45: Shout out to my brother for getting him an interception tonight #proud
• Zach Orr (Jr., LB) - @zo35: I have to experience the feeling of winning a championship soon real soon!
• Rex Rollins (Fr., DB) - @scb_bossman: Sitting here thinking..the way of football is life. Live on the field and play like every play is your last. #GMG #UNTFootball