In our efforts to bring you the best coverage of North Texas football, we will be giving you Tweets & Treats from around the Mean Green during fall camp (Mon., Wed., Fri.). Let us know if you want us to touch on anything specific, and enjoy this insider's take on the happenings around Apogee.
• Former North Texas receiver Jamize Olawale punched in the first touchdown of 2012 for the Dallas Cowboys on Saturday night, and was the game's leading rusher. The former Mean Greener carried the ball 10 times for 30 yards and a score in the Cowboys' 28-20 loss to the San Diego Chargers.
• Freshman receiver Carlos Harris continues to impress in both practices and scrimmages, and is seeing split reps between the first and second squads. The 5-8, 173-pound Frisco High School grad has lightning quick routes and steady hands.
• While many position battles are still being waged on the practice field, a handful of defensive spots have been locked down. Marcus Trice and Lairamie Lee will start at the two safety spots, while Jeremy Phillips (now up to 223 pounds), Zach Orr and Will Wright have secured the linebacker positions.
• Everyone remembers the summer of 2011, especially the coaches, players and sports medicine staff at North Texas. During the 26 days of fall camp last year, Denton saw 23 100-degree days and posted an average high temperature of 103. This year's camp (14 days so far) has been much more tolerable, with only five 100-degree days and an average high of 97. North Texas' Director of Sports Medecine, Dustin Hill, said this six-degree difference has helped slash the number of heat related issues significantly, which means more players healthy and participating in practice. Only five players have received intravenous fluids thus far in camp, compared to 25 in 2011.
• Nicolas Summerfield (Sr., OL) - @NTIronEagle: I've said it once and I'll say it again. I have a great feeling about this year!
• North Texas running back Brandin Byrd to former Mean Green receiver and current Dallas Cowboys running back Jamize Olawale - @BByrd24: @jrolawale keep grindin bro. God got your back. We proud of you back here.
• Richard Abbe (Jr., DT) - @bigabbe97: Up and at it again #sunbeltchamps
• Offensive coordinator Mike Canales - @coachcanales: Two weeks of competitive camp, only gets better w/ final Scrimmage this morning. Feels like Game Day! Go Mean Green.
• North Texas soccer player Carly McDowell - @carlymc18: Awesome hearing "rookie from North Texas" during this Cowboy game! Ready for @Dunbar_CDB5 to get better and in on the action too!! #GMG
• Zachary Orr (Jr., LB) - @zo35: Any lil free time I've been sleep the past 2 weeks lol #CampLife