Fouts Field became the home of the University of North Texas football and track teams in 1951. Originally built to seat 20,000 fans, the structure was expanded by adding 10,000 seats in the end zones prior to the 1994 season. Physical improvements continue to make Fouts Field a place of pride for the players and fans.
In 1992, North Texas students passed a referendum approving an increase in student service fees over the following two years to fund the expansion of the stadium. Construction on the project began in December 1993 and was completed in June 1994. The stadium features a new message center scoreboard and public address system.
Physical improvements, including the placement of Sportexe Omnigrass artificial turf before the 2005 football season, continue to make Fouts Field a place of pride for the players and fans.
Fouts Field was named in honor of Theron J. Fouts, who came to Denton in 1920 as coach of all sports at the university. Fouts initiated track and field as a varsity sport at UNT, and it was that program that gained the first national recognition for the university in athletics. Under his guidance, teams won national honors in football, basketball, golf and track and field. Fouts compiled a 23-14-2 record as football coach and later served as the athletic director.