In our efforts to bring you the best coverage of North Texas football, we will be giving you Tweets & Treats from around the Mean Green during fall camp (Mon., Wed., Fri.). Let us know if you want us to touch on anything specific, and enjoy this insider's take on the happenings around Apogee.
• LSU preparations are underway for the Mean Green. The North Texas coaches have begun installing the game plan for the Sept. 1 meeting with the Tigers, which means no more Tweets & Treats pictures. We will still be brining you all the interesting notes and tweets we can put together as the Mean Green prepare for the trip to Baton Rouge.
• North Texas will be rolling out an entirely new secondary for the first time since moving back to Division-I in 1995, and that might be a unique fact nationwide. The University of Virginia is doing a research project about the youngest secondaries in the country, and so far the Mean Green is in the lead. The research is ongoing, but NT might be alone in not having a senior amongst the starting four secondary members.
• Check out KXAS NBC5 on Sunday night for a special on the Mean Green from David Watkins, who just returned from Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard, Calif. He had nothing but good things to say about former North Texas players Lance Dunbar and Jamize Olawale, and thinks both have a pretty good shot at making the squad.
• Zachary (Zach for short) Orr is the undoubted leader of this year’s linebacker corps after a stellar sophomore campaign. In fact, Orr’s 74 total tackles in 2011 made him the first sophomore since Aaron Weathers in 2005 to lead the Mean Green in tackles. Look for that total to go up even further in 2012 as Orr leads a much improved defensive unit.
• Marcus Trice (Jr., DB) – @begreat_8: lol media people make it look a whole lot easier than it actually is!